ESOL Home Tutor training
Certificate in ESOL Home Tutoring
A course for community volunteers who want to become ESOL home tutors with English Language Partners. Once trained, tutors provide one-to-one, English-language support to adult migrants and refugees in New Zealand.
You can apply online to volunteer via your local centre's webpage. Find your centre, then click on their 'Teach English' page.
Designed for 60 hours' part-time study.
Training is usually allocated this way:
- 20 hours training sessions (minimum)
- 14 hours independent study
Practical tutoring project
- 26 hours preparation, tutoring and evaluation
Class times vary, and may be scheduled in the daytime, evening or weekends.
A minimum of 80% attendance at training session is required.
Course assessment activities need to be completed before a certificate is awarded.
- Context of volunteer tutoring
- Intercultural awareness
- Adults as language learners
- Teaching techniques for ESOL
- Identifying learner needs and setting learner goals
- Planning tutoring sessions and using resources
- Evaluating sessions and reporting on progress
After finishing the course, trainees will be able to
- Be a volunteer ESOL home tutor
- Support learners as they settle in New Zealand
- Maintain an informal one-to-one English language support programme
- Assist adult language learners to develop their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Assist adult learners to participate in their local community
- Evaluate their own and their learner’s performance
Find your centre
The Certificate in ESOL Home Tutoring is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and English Language Partners New Zealand Trust is accredited to deliver it.
- Learn English
- Teach English
- For Employers
- Our Centres
- About Us
- Support Us