Frequently asked questions | ELPNZ

Frequently asked questions

two membersCan I learn English with English Language Partners?

You can learn English with us if

  • you are 18 years old or older
  • you live in New Zealand
  • your first language is not English
  • you meet local criteria

English Language Partners is funded to work with residents. People without residency may not get a service. We give priority to people who can't go to any other language class.

Is there any cost?
A home tutor is free to residents. The English for Employees programme is also free to residents. To go to a group you may need to pay a small fee. Ask at your English Language Partners' centre.

ESOL Home Tutoring

How do I get an ESOL home tutor?
Contact the manager at the English Language Partners' centre near you.

Who will teach me?
Our ESOL home tutors are fluent English speakers who have trained with English Language Partners. They are volunteers.

When will I learn English?
Usually, each week you will learn for one hour with a home tutor. The time will suit both you and your tutor. Lessons go for six months. Some learners have another tutor after six months. Some continue with the same tutor.

Where will I learn English?
Your home tutor will come to your home.

What will I learn?
Tell your home tutor what you want to learn. They will make a programme with you. Lessons include things like getting a driver's licence or making an appointment to see the doctor. The home tutor will bring books and tapes to the lessons. You can also learn about your town or city and about New Zealand.

How long will I have an ESOL home tutor?
Your home tutor will teach you for six months. If a home tutor is available, you can continue to have lessons after that.

English Language Groups

Can I join a group?
All centres have groups. Groups are a good way to practise English and to meet other people. Ask your manager about the groups if there is a suitable group for you to join. Also ask about any local costs.

English for Migrants

I paid the New Zealand Immigration Service for English lessons before I came to New Zealand. How can I get the lessons?
We will find a teacher for you. Contact your closest centre. Or phone our national office in Wellington on (04) 471 2382.